CDC Warns About Edible Pot Risks After Death of 19-Year OldDaniel McCarthy (Author) Published Date : Jul 29, 2015 14:49 IST
The U.S. Center for Disease Control is providing new, chilling details about the death of a 19-year old that leaped four stories from a Holiday Inn to his death after he ate a marijuana cookie. The case is part of a stern warning over the dangers of edible marijuana that calls for labels that are much clearer, better education and dosage guidelines advocating limited portions.
Although the deceased in this particular case had been advised against eating a number of servings at the same time, CDC researchers wrote that he reportedly consumed five servings of a cookie infused with THC within a period of between 30 and 60 minutes.
The warnings could likely fuel the debate further about legal use of marijuana in four U.S. states as well as in Washington D.C. that now permits anyone 21 or over to legally buy the drug, including in products that are sweet such as brownies, candy and cookies.ads
Colorado and Washington were the first two states to legalize marijuana usage.
Corners in Denver listed intoxication of marijuana due to cookies that were cannabis infused as a condition that significantly contributed to the death of the 19-year old college student.
The CDC said the report by police indicated that the student at first ate only one piece of the cookie, but about an hour later not feeling effects from the drug, consumed the rest of the cookie.
Over the next two hours, he reportedly experienced hostile behaviors and erratic speech. About 2 hours after eating the rest of the marijuana cookie, he jumped from a balcony on the fourth floor and died from the trauma.
The report by police did not say if the sales clerk had provided instruction for the period to wait between ingesting each individual serving of the cookie.
Researchers added that due to a delayed effect of edibles that are THC infused, multiple servings could be consumed close together before the high is experienced for the first serving.
CDC Warns About Edible Pot Risks After Death of 19-Year Old