Apart from the dominance of James Cameron and Star Wars films in the Box office, it is the Superhero films which make more money throughout the world. Marvel and DC Comics are the comic leaders which hold the number of superheroes in their novels to be made as films.
Walt Disney is the collaborative makers of Marvel films and Warner Bros are the right holders of DC Comic films for the past years and the upcoming period too. The head to head battle between Marvel and DC are always interesting to look forward while the Marvels are the one who makes their dominance over the box office throughout the world.
DC emerges once over a period to prove their hold of competition with their rivals and after their growth during The Dark Knight period and now after the latest blockbuster Wonder Woman, DC is on a rise again with a series of films involving new superheroes are about to come. Including the sequel of Wonder Woman, the newbies Aquaman, Shazam! are expected to peak over the Box office.
Another franchise of DC is the Deadpool which silently makes a huge impact and it is the only R-rated film to have such reception. Both the parts were a huge success and have a wide fanbase equal to that of a Marvel superhero. Excluding the Avengers series, among the solo superhero films DC has 4 films in this list while Marvel tops with 6 films and Black Panther sitting on the top.
Top 10 Highest Grossing Solo Superhero Films:
1. Black Panther (2018) – $700 million
2. The Dark Knight (2008) – $535 million
3. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) – $448 million
4. Wonder Woman (2017) – $412.5 million
5. Iron Man 3 (2013) – $409 million
6. Captain America: Civil War (2016) – $408 million
7. Spider-Man (2002) – $403.7 million
8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) – $390 million
9. Spider-Man 2 (2004) – $373.5 million
10. Deadpool (2016) – $363 million