19 Health Benefits of The Delicious Fruit Papaya and its SeedsUma (Author) Published Date : Dec 28, 2018 12:41 ET
Papaya is a delicious fruit that has immense health benefits. A small papaya (152 gms) contains: Calories – 59, Carbohydrates - 15 grams, Fiber - 3 grams, Protein - 1 gram, Vitamin C - 157% of the RDI, Vitamin A - 33% of the RDI, Folate (vitamin B9) - 14% of the RDI, Dietary fibre – 12% of the RDI, Potassium: 11% of the RDI, Trace amounts of calcium, magnesium and vitamins B1, B3, B5, E and K.
It also contains healthy antioxidants known as carotenoids and flavonoids.
1. Reduces stress according to a study at the University of Alabama, as it contains Vitamin C.
2. Applying crushed papaya seeds to wounds can fasten the healing. Their antimicrobial activity helps kill the bacteria in the wound
3. The juice prevents swelling and pus formation when applied to wounds.
4. Eliminates toxins from the body
5. Aids digestion and relieves heartburn, acid reflux, stomach ulcers, constipation and other stomach ailments
6. Boosts immunity
7. Activates human growth hormones
8. Helps ease menstrual pain
9. Adds glow, cleanses and moisturizes skin, reduces pigmentation, removes scars, wounds, burns, wrinkles, pimples, and chills down eyes.
10. Aids weight loss
11. Good for diabetics, asthma, cancer, dengue, tooth pain, nausea, motion sickness, and piles
12. Protects against arthritis (inflammation in the joints)
13. Reduce inflammation in the lungs and tonsils
14. Increases Hair growth, conditions, adds shine and removes dandruff. It has vitamin A, a nutrient required for sebum production, that keeps hair moisturized.
15. Improves bone health and increases platelet count
16. Repairs muscle tissues
17. Controls blood pressure
18. Papaya helps proper bowel movement which keeps babies healthy and happy.
19. Increases breast milk production
If the fruit has reddish-orange skin, then it is ripened and should be consumed within a few days, after storing in the refrigerator. Papayas may also cause allergic reactions in some people, maybe because it contains papain. Consult a dermatologist before using papaya.
19 Health Benefits of The Delicious Fruit Papaya and its Seeds