Boosting Immunity to Cure Aphthous Mouth Ulcers and Canker SoresUma (Author) Published Date : Dec 26, 2018 21:46 IST
Many people suffer from mouth ulcers and bump on the tongue. For some, it becomes a dreadful experience; constant burning sensation, struggling to speak, to swallow and sometimes even being unable to eat any kind of food, regardless of whether it is spicy or not. Mouth, lips, tongue, gums, throat may be fully affected. Baking soda and Neem may not show any effect. Drinking coconut water/milk may burn the throat. Rinsing/Gargling with sea salt water or using apple cider vinegar is very painful and removes the bacteria only temporarily.
There are some ways to prevent and cure mouth ulcers: (Do not panic, you do not have cancer).
1. Consult a good doctor first because he will find out the exact cause and suggest you do's and don'ts so that your problem will not become severe in the future. Home remedies won't always work.
2. Rinse coconut oil for quick relief.
3. Drink lots of lukewarm water to prevent dehydration. Water helps ulcers a lot, so drink at least 1500 ml per day.
4. Brush twice compulsorily. Change your toothpaste brand. Use Chlorohexidine mouthwash and betadine gargle after consulting with your doctor.
5. Maintain hygienic practices so that you won't favor the bacteria/virus. Change your toothbrush every month; Bathe everyday; Wash your hands with Dettol always.
6. Boost your immunity: Exercise regularly; Sleep atleast 9 hours a day; Reduce stress; Laugh your heart out; Spend some time under the sun to get vitamin D; Sweat out because bacteria can't survive in hot temperature.
Say goodbye to these, at least till you get alright:
2. Crying/stressing yourself (Since it lowers your immunity)
3. Hot liquids, coffee, tea
4. Hard/junk/spicy/salty/citrus/acidic food
5. Chocolates, garlic, sugar
6. Anything that triggers your ulcer
What to eat:
1. Immunity boosting food such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, turmeric, almonds, dates, walnuts, peanuts, figs, ginger tea, mushroom, sweet potato, green tea, oats, barley, onions, beans, chickpeas, sprouted green gram, milk, pumpkin, flaxseed, soaked/sprouted fenugreek, basil leaves (tulsi), brown rice, ghee
2. Bananas, watermelon, carrot juice, papaya, mangoes, avocados, and guava. Other fruits such as strawberry, pineapple, pomegranate, apple, tomato and citric fruits like orange and lemon can aggravate the ulcers
3. Any food made using pure coconut (Such as coconut chutney). Coconut can perform miracles on your ulcers since it is anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal.
4. Probiotics like buttermilk/yogurt.
5. Folic acid, B Complex, and Multivitamin Supplement.
6. Drink one spoon of coconut oil every day.
Stress and anxiety is an important cause of ulcers, and it makes the immune system weaker. So sleep often and longer. Also, doing Bhramari Pranayama (humming bee yoga) helps a lot. Once your throat starts to burn less, you can try this yoga. It's a simple and working technique. Sit erect, close your eyes, use your index finger to gently press the cartilage between your cheek & ear, and make a loud humming sound like a bee with your mouth closed. Use eucalyptus oil to reduce tension and relax the mind.
These methods can be followed to find a solution for mouth ulcers.
Boosting Immunity to Cure Aphthous Mouth Ulcers and Canker Sores