North Carolina, Duke University Student confirmed of Bacterial Meningitis, Admitted in the HospitalUma (Author) Published Date : Nov 20, 2018 17:53 IST
An undergraduate student with bacterial meningitis ( inflammation of the membranes of the brain) has been admitted to the hospital. As it is a contagious disease, the university announced that it would take steps to probe into the matter such as who was in close contact with her ( sharing drinks as they would be exposed to saliva or kissing, prolonged exposure to coughing or sneezing.) just to isolate those persons in hospitals.
Antibiotics course would prove beneficial to those affected by this bacterial infection. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention announces that this infection to be fatal and cause death if not properly treated.
A blood test helps to identify the disease and the symptoms are nausea, vomiting, disorientation, drowsiness, confusion, poor appetite, muscular rigidity and sensitivity to bright light. In the United States out of 4000 cases, almost 500 deaths have been reported annually.
The patients should be placed on private rooms and whoever enters the room should have masks on their face until they have completed 24 hours of appropriate antibiotic therapy.
The students who believe that they have been exposed to this infection can contact Duke's student health center (919) 681-9355 while non-students can call the Durham County Health Department through 919-560-7600 in case they think if they are affected by the disease.
Dr. John Vaugun, director of Student Health Services and Dr. Cameron Wolfe, associate professor of medicine in the infectious disease division, send messages to alert the students and update them with appropriate treatment.
Students who were notified and those who have already left for the Thanksgiving holiday, need to contact their local health provider for their health issues and receiving the antibiotic if required.
North Carolina, Duke University Student confirmed of Bacterial Meningitis, Admitted in the Hospital