Top 10 Highest Grossing Video Game Movies of all-time in Domestic Box officeRasu (Author) Published Date : Sep 07, 2018 17:02 ET
Movies based on Video games will definitely get a wide reception among the audience especially due to the craze on video games and the fans who just love to experience the favourite games being made as a movie with a story. Not all the movie based on video games taste the success in the box office as many movies don’t stand up to the mark in terms of the content of the film and entertainment factor. For these kinds of Video game movies, it is an advantage that an entertaining content with an engaging screenplay can easily pull the audience to watch the film.
The Video games with top-level actions and number of fans will easily get an opening without much promotion and then it stands on the film to engage the audience. Each year will see at least two or three films based on a video game and one film would make a successful run for sure. Summer released Rampage starring Dwayne Johnson is a big hit and takes place in this list while Mortal Combat, Prince of Persia and The Angry Birds movie also grabbed a spot.
Movies under the Lara Croft Tomb Raider franchise dominates the list with 3 films in Top 10 and none other films’ sequels made such a record and it is one of the top franchises in Hollywood. The recently released Tomb Raider reboot made $57 million with a worldwide total of $273 million falling short from the build-up of the franchise as the absence of Angelina Jolie and lack of proper writing made it dull although entered the Top 10 list which is given below.
1. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)- $131 million
2. The Angry Birds Movie (2016) - $107.5 million
3. Rampage (2018) - $99.3 million
4. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) - $90.7 million
5. Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back (1998) - $85.7 million
6. Mortal Kombat (1995) - $70.4 million
7. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003) - $65.6 million
8. Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010) - $60 million
9. Tomb Raider (2018) - $57.2 million
10. Assassin's Creed (2016) - $54.6 million
Top 10 Highest Grossing Video Game Movies of all-time in Domestic Box office